Tuesday, February 14, 2012

It's Valentine's Day (Jack Prelutsky)

It's Valentine's Day
Author/illustrator: Jack Prelutsky/Yossi Abolafia
Publisher: Mulberry (1996)
Category: Poetry

It's Valentine's Day is a collection of 14 Valentine's poems from the nation's first children's poet laureate (and the boys' favorite poet not named Shel Silverstein). Check out Prelutsky's website for a few of his other poems and for poetry-writing activities for children.

We chose "I Love You More Than Applesauce" as a basis for poems the boys are giving to their teachers today (and because I won't be able to get them to write any more poems for a while, they're for you, too, grandmas). We got the idea from Elise in Ukraine. Here's the original Prelutsky poem:

I love you more than applesauce,
Than peaches and a plum,
Than chocolate hearts and cherry tarts
And berry bubblegum.

I love you more than lemonade
And seven-layer cakes,
Than lollipops and candy drops
And thick vanilla shakes.

I love you more than marzipan,
Than marmalade on toast,
Oh I love pies of any size,
But I love YOU the most.

Here's Tintin's:

I love you more than dim sum;
I love you more than bubblegum.
I really love lasagna,
But I love YOU the most.

And Johnny Boo's (with a reference to the Mercy Watson series):

I love you more than blood orange flan;
I love you more than naan.
I really love red velvet cheesecake and hot buttered toast,
But I love YOU the most.

Here are some of the 42 hearts we made to hand out to teachers and classmates (the teachers' poems are on the backs of their hearts). Directions for the hearts can be found at Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas.





















Happy Valentine's Day!

4 comments:

WishfulMe said...

What an adorable idea! I love homemade valentine's so much more than the little store bought ones.

Take care!
Dee

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

So glad you linked up at TGIF! I am here happily folling you back =-) I love getting new book recommendations & love all the activities you do with them!!!
Beth

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

Oh, how I {HEART} seeing all those gorgeous tie dye hearts! They came out lovely!!! Thanks for linking to us :) I love the poem idea!

Unknown said...

On behalf of the Kids Co-op thank you for sharing this link with us. It was wonderful to see boys being encouraged to write poetry and combining this with an idea from another site.